BOOK REVIEW: THE SNAKE"S SONG

Mamma Bear Book Review

*A bear trundles in with a book under one, fuzzy arm*
 The Snake's Song, by Mary E. Lowd, is a Labyrinth of Souls novel all of which are required to feature some form of labyrinth prominently in the story. In Snake's Song, our hero is Witch-Hazel, a misfit squirrel who dares to venture into the underground after hearing the mysterious whispering of a snake. The words promise treasure, heroism, and a chance to prove herself, and Witch-Hazel bravely pursues that promise into the labyrinth.

The Snake's Song is an engaging adventure full of charismatic animal characters, danger, magic and excitement. I found the story gripping and delightful. The writing is firmly settled into Lowd's characteristic whimsy and simplicity which makes this a highly palatable tale for any age level. Though I found the side-characters universally more endearing than the protagonist, I enjoyed every step of Witch-Hazel's unique journey and particularly loved the setting and world building in this one. 
  
The heroine lost me a few times by making less than noble decisions or taking a course that made me question her ethics, and I wanted her to more obviously learn that those decisions were 'wrong' by the end of the book, but there was so much else to love about the world and story that I let her off the hook quickly enough. 

The only other detraction for me was the ending where I felt less satisfied than I'd hoped, largely because the primary story goal was not achieved on the page, but by a different character in a scene that the reader was not shown. It did, however, leave on a hopeful note and with the possibility of a sequel that could either continue that goal or eventually enlighten us as to what actually happened. 

I give Witch-Hazel's delightful adventure a solid four claws up. Definitely recommended.


Character: 
I enjoyed the side characters in this one a great deal. They were diverse and unique and fully entertaining. I was rooting for Witch-Hazel the whole way, but her tendency to favor violence first and her dishonesty with her friends pushed me away a little from totally sympathizing with her.

World Building:
The underground setting is beautifully imagined and realized through a series of exciting and unique adventures. I felt like the labyrinth was an additional character and this greatly pleases me.
Pacing:  
The story moved well and with a great sense of tension. Definitely a page turner and a read in one sitting story that flowed beautifully from start to finish.

 Shiny:
For me, The Snake's Song's real treat was its originality. I never knew what Witch-Hazel might find around the next corner, and that kept my attention fixed fully on following her journey.

Comments

Popular Posts